Monday, April 6, 2009

Tragedy brings reflection...

As many if not everyone knows today, this day April 9th, was the final day of a talented young man who pitched for the Angels. His story is quite amazing yet tragic. He was drafted in 2004 by the Angels with elbow problems. He sat out 4 seasons until this winter showed commitment and hard work. He was picked during the spring to start because of all the problems the Angels had with starting pitchers. He delivered a great performance for a rookie and had no runs for 6 innings. He decides to go out with friends and a drunk 22 year old (same age as him) decides to drive on a suspended license and run a red light and hit the car in which he was a passenger in. The silver eclipse hits another car and is slammed against a light pole. Two died on site and Nick died in surgery at UCI. How could this happen? This Mr. Gallo (drunk driver from Riverside) is a total waste of space and air and takes away the life of a man who deserves to live and has talent that not many have. He just had his great big league start and was incredibly successful. This night he showed everyone that he deserved to be there and wear the angels uniform. And on this night his life was cut short. Brings tears to my eyes. I headed out to Angels Stadium to drop some flowers and was moved by messages written on caps, shirts, balloons, and banners. It really is not fair. I am reading on the teams that observed a moment of silence for Nick and it makes me happy to know that it is just not the fans that care.
Car in which he was a passenger in.
During the Giants v Brewers game. I drove by the Honda Center and they had something similar showing in their big screen next to the freeway. Once I found out at like 9 am I ran onto the computer and went to ESPN to get more details. I was on the message boards and someone commented that it was probably a drunk Mexican who did this. I was deeply offended at this comment but it turned out to be true. Then I ask myself why people like this make it so hard for others like me to get by without being stereotyped. I cannot act like a victim of racial stereotyping because we all go through it too but I was just insanely pissed off because it turned out to be true.
This is the picture I took when I went down there to drop off some flowers. It was just a sad place to be. This is deff not the first athlete to die in this manner but its is just sad. Being 20 and having my whole life ahead of me makes me sad to think that this young man with incredible talent was unfairly taken away at his highest moment in life.

I was actually working on a blog last night which was more than halfway done but I decided to start all over because of what happened. To lighten the mood a little and not let this sad story take over my whole blog I will switch it up a bit. My co worker's son decided to enroll in the few the proud, the Marines. Well he has been in boot camp for about 3 weeks. I got a text message telling me that he went AWL. Now I am not a military expert but I thought that meant that you abandoned the place you were suppose to be in. Turns out he left boot camp. He had been watching the guards for about a week until he memorized their paths and decided to go for it. He jumped in a couple bushes, ran over a few hills, and jumped over a few fences and he made it back to civilization. The Srgnt Joe Shmoe called my co worker and said he has 31 days to go back before authorities would be looking for him. Talk about crazy! Who in their right mind decides to escape boot camp? This kid has BALLS! Well he is going back tonight and he had to write a letter explaining why he did it. I am glad he finally got a taste of reality and he realized how great he had it back at home.Followed by sad news again today I was brought to tears. I must say it does not take much to move me to tears but I just cannot help it, things make me sad and I cry. Turns out one of my friends had a miscarriage not to long ago and finally told me today. I could not believe it. I am pro choice but personally I would never abort and I would never want my friends to abort either. I understand this was a miscarriage but it just makes me sad that she has to live with that now. I mean if it was up to her she would have had the child but just everything going in her life made it hard on her body to retain the child. I understand. My mom had a miscarriage as well when I was 8 years old. I sat there and thought about having a little brother or sister and it made me sad that it was not going to happen. My parents are the best and I felt that they would be lucky to have them to take care of him/her.
Well if many of you knew or not I have been on two weeks of spring break from work and one week of spring break from school. How awesome is that? Well on my first week we headed out to Disneyland with my cousin Janet, her friend Irma, and my friend Melinda. Now let me remind you that all this was free! Except the gas and guess who got stuck driving? Yeah me! Anyways we headed out to Orange County and spent a fun day at both Disneyland and California Adventure. We had fun hanging going on rides and just being crazy like usual. They closed three rides on us which pissed me off but its okay we still got to ride the fun ones. We left the park at 10 pm and guess who had to drop everyone off? Yes me again. I got home around 12:45am and died in bed that night! My feet hurt like hell the next day because of all the walking up and down the park but it was soooo worth it!On Saturday Melinda and I headed to Knott's Berry Farm!!! The picture you see up is Perilous Plunge. Great ride! The lines were no more than 25 minute wait which made it that much more awesome. All I have to say on this ride was that when we started to fall I was screaming and opening my mouth so wide that I almost choked on the water! It was hella funny. After this we headed down to Accelerator which turned out to be sooo much fun. So you start and go 82 mph and we are going up as high as possible and then twist and go all the way down again. I was laughing so hard and decided to look over to Melinda and her face was PRICELESS! She looked like she was having the biggest heart attack known to man! I looked at her and could not for the love of goodness sakes stop laughing. We finally stop and she is catching her breath wiping the tears from her eyes. I start laughing uncontrollably again because this is by far the funniest thing to me.
If you were curious this is a picture of the ride. Right where you see that car is where I turned over to see Melinda. *wipes tear* Good Times! Well after all that it was Melinda's turn to laugh hysterically. We went on ghost rider almost at the end of the night and we finally got on. So we are on our way up the steep climb and some idiot decides to take a picture. So they stop everything. Melinda and I are thinking that the ride was broken but then some guy walked towards us and asked the idiot to give them the camera. Fine okay whatever. So finally we reach the top and brave Melinda decides to put her hands up and as soon as we start falling she is trying so hard to get a hold of the bars because the drop is extremely steep and fast. There I was laughing so hard. But then the moment of truth came when we reached the bottom and I swear that the car got off the rail and then jumped back on it. Once my life is in real danger I am no longer having fun. Once I felt that I started screaming for my life asking why the hell I decided to get on this ride and just wanting to get out alive. Melinda could not stop laughing at this point. We finally reach the end and she wipes tears from her eyes again saying that my face was sooo funny. She said I looked nervous and it was soo funny. Nothing funny about that!
Okay so that was most of the fun I had during my spring break. Oh and I forgot to mention how I started my spring break. So Melinda hits me up Friday night asking me if I had plans. Duh! No way I had plans so she decided to take me to the bar where there was free show that night. Okay so we head out and we are just chillin at the bar. Her friend has a new man and these both are beyond normal levels and they bring drama to the place. She buys us long island iced teas and we just chug it like water. So her man walks off and this guy comes up to her and just talks.. her man comes back and is like "why you talking to my old lady dude, back off! I just told you she is with me, do we have a problem bro?" Melinda and I just look at each other like OH MAN! BARFIGHT! Lol it cooled off before anything bad happened but it was interesting. So here I am drinking like I am being rushed and by the end of the night I was a little messed up, how messed up you ask? I fell in front of EVERYONE! It was one of those moments when you had to be there. I threw my hands in the air and said IM OKAY! Lol priceless. I got a ride home and went to sleep. An hour later I did not feel soo good so I made it to the toilet to barf. Again at 5, 6, and7 in the morning I woke up to barf. I had a killer headache that morning but I did not tell the parentals I went out so I had to stick it out. My dad decides to cook breakfast and I forced myself to eat it because I could not leave a clue that I was not okay that morning. I got to the blood bank afterwards and asked the ladies for advil because MAN! I felt like crap! I got away with it and everything turned out okay! :) Just another day in my life really.

Okay okay this blog has gone on for WAY! to long so I finish it here. Now don't get mad or anything but I probably wont post anything until my next break which is... the end of the semester but its okay I will try to keep you updated! Much love yall!

No comments: